Old May 4th 21, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jax

Default Hawk Wind

In my experience the wind on the Airglide (even that it does not seem 100% accurate) provides very useful information, I mostly use the difference between the circling wind from XCSoar and the airglide wind. It is most useful flying convergences when you are not near the top part of the convection layer.

My conclusion is that the normal vario ie: the black triangle does not use the inertial platform, the blue ball on the other hand uses both the pneumatic and inertial platform.
I found the blue ball is usually a leading indicator but it is not 100% reliable, yet it can be very useful in certain circumstances.

The people that only listen to the vario (which is what we do 99% of the time) and think the Airglide vario is nothing special are perfectly correct. The sound is the black triangle, often I would prefer it to be on the blue ball but sadly we can't change it.

All in all the Airglide is my prefered vario, it is not a game changer but it is a very high quality device, very intuitive interface, it has all the info needed displayed in a simple and readable format (except for the too small wind arrow) it has a very pleasant tone with a subtle volume increase between tones rather than a harsh on/off plus it has the extra wind and inertial platform that gives the extra info when you dare bringing your eyes inside the cockpit. An Airglide with HUD focussed to horizon would be perfect