Old February 10th 05, 09:07 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"redman" wrote in message
ups.com...

How much does an annual cost?

If you're in a high-cost area and you don't do an owner-assist, you're
probably looking at 2-3k in a normal year with 4-5k very possible. Two small
items cost us $2200 on our 1979 172N annual last year (paperwork problems on
a Precise Flight standby vacuum and some rash on trailing edge of the
elevator) at a Cadillac shop (Keyson Airways, ASH). Year before was about 4k
too, bunch of little crap that just kept adding up.

I realize that if something is broken it needs to be fixed, but
right now just wanting to find out how much I will be looking for to
spending if nothing is broken.

If you buy a typical 60s or 70s vintage Skyhawk, things will always be in
the process of breaking. Don't like that? Buy new. This year we had two
ignition leads (read: a wire) go bad and replacing the harness cost $700.
Oil changes will cost anywhere from $50-$300 depending on how you do them
and whether you do it or pay a mechanic.

My feeling with a Skyhawk is that you should be prepared to spend $5000 at
the drop of a hat if necessary every couple years. If you buy carefully you
probably won't need it, but if that number scares you, get a partner or
stick to renting.

People ask me how expensive flying is, I tell them "more expensive than
skiing, but cheaper than polo." You'll spend money on nothing but fuel and
oil for 10 months and then one day something will crack that Cessna charges
$500 for and takes the mechanic six hours to get to. Them's the breaks.

Anyhow, if you do buy, a Skyhawk is about the best plane you can buy,
stupid-simple in the best sense of the phrase. If I had it to do over again
I'd look for one with the Penn Yan 180HP conversion for just a little more
speed and climb, but the one I have is still my favorite because she's
*mine*. When the bank account looks a little better I'll probably look to
step up to a 182 or maybe a Mooney so I can go places but you'll never go
wrong with a 172.

-cwk.