Old December 5th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

Default Parachute 20 year limit

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 04:20:16 -0800, cnich15000 wrote:

What is this about round vs ram/square? I thought it was generally
accepted that ram/square give more control and lower descent rates, but
are less suitable for glider emergency chutes because they work reliably
only if you are the right way up etc. when you pull them.

My chute, which was put together by John Rix (Southern Parachutes) is now
old enough that he's repacking it on a year-by-year basis. He's willing
to replace the canopy when the time comes if he can find one, but says
round canopies are becoming very hard to find. So, I asked him about
replacements. He suggested the Rigging Innovations Aviator model. It has
a square, 7 bay canopy that can't be stalled, and so needs no more
training than a round parachute. They're not cheap ($US 2300 on the web
site, compared with £1250 for a Strong from AFE).

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK