Old July 19th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default Drop-a-day

On Jul 18, 4:50*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:

OK, time to move drop a day to its own subject.

Let's start by getting the facts straight. You don't drop a day of the
whole contest, as if it were rained out! *Each individual pilot gets
to drop his worst score. Let's read the rule:

(good explanation snipped...)

John, thanks for clarifying the rule - but if it isn't "dropping a
day", perhaps we should call it something else!

Personally, I don't agree with your assumption that it will change the
way most pilots will compete - I think most will still try as hard as
they can and not even think about being able to get a WDSA added to
their score. Ow, my head hurts!

And the rule seems to go against the fact that short contests are more
luck prone, while longer contests allow mistakes to be made up (or
gives other pilots a chance to make mistakes...).

Like the old "add 15 minutes" rule, I'm not convinced this option
fixes anything that needs fixing.

Kirk
66