Old April 30th 15, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Towpilots ignoring turn signals

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 9:33:24 PM UTC-4, Bob Pasker wrote:
What made you think you knew where to go better than the local tow pilot?
UH

that's a great point, if the tow pilot had made it

A 35 year tow pilot just did.
When waiting for your launch, watch where the tows are going. More often than not the tow pilot will be trying to take you to known lift. When I'm towing during soaring conditions, I'll go to where I put the last guy in lift until it cycles. Very commonly we'll get 2-3(twice that with 2 tugs) in the same thermal before needing to locate the next thermal which likely is relatively nearby.
If you've seen where the other gliders are climbing, hopefully he or she goes to the same place. If not, you know where to go.
I agree that radios are far preferable to tail yanking. We get enough tail yanking when students are learning wake boxing skills.
UH