Old February 5th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Default Balloons

G. Sylvester wrote:
I had another close encounter with a (party / decoration-type) balloon.
I was flying back to SQL with 3 passengers in an Archer at 2500 AGL/MSL
when out of the corner of my eye this black thing flew (no pun intended)
by. I asked a passenger what it was and they said it was a balloon. I
think this is the 3rd or 4th time out of ~250 hours that I've been very
close (less than 100 feet) to a balloon. One of the times it was at
10,500 feet over Los Angeles. Any else see balloons all the time? I'm
guessing they can't do too much damage unless they go into the engine
air inlets or hit the ADF antenna. Now that would be bad luck.

Balloons are aircraft, just the same as airplanes. They should be
talking to local ATC towers etc, and getting winds aloft from FSS.
Typically, flights are just above tree tops for a good view, seeing the
deer, finding calm areas for landing, etc. But LTA craft need to be
exceedingly careful about power lines.

In Eastern MA and Southern NH it is not unusual to see a half dozen
balloons in the air just after sunrise. Landing in the afternoon is
possible but there is diminishing light making power lines hard to see,
landing spots are harder to pick, winds can be difficult and of course,
fuel will be low. Then, having landed you can have a hard time locating
all your equipment such as gloves, shrouds, etc in the dark.

The ballooning community is very active here. I suspect everywhere, in
fact. Take a look at some of the ballooning web sites and you will
locate where the local groups launch. Start hanging around with them.
Pitch in and maybe you will earn a free flight (take awhile!).