Old November 29th 03, 04:24 PM
robert arndt

Scott Ferrin wrote in message . ..
Supercruise: Yes Yes No
Radar: APG-77 CAPTOR Doppler Zhuk-PH+ rear NO12
Systems: HUD+ 4 LCDs Wide angle HUD HUD+ 3 LCDs
sidestick VTAS (Voice, Throttle, IRST
triplex FBW Stick) Helmet-mounted

sight
Helmet-mounted sight quadraplex FBW
IRST ECM pods
DASS
ESM Pods
quadraplex FBW
*future FBL
Initial Order: 295 Units 148 Units None placed

That's a nice summary. You missed the Intraflight Datalinks (IDL) for the
F-22.

Sorry, the miss is not intentional as this post is all about a basic
comparison using what information is verified at the time. The Typhoon
also has the MIDS datalink.

He also seems to have left out the ESM system which is quite elaborate
in the F-22. It can take an AMRAAM shot with it without even using
it's main radar. Also he was incorrect on the F-22's speed. The mach
1.7 he lists in in dry thrust and it wasn't even max military power.
Paul Metz stated on a Discovery special that the maximum speed of the
F-22 is classified but that it will go Mach 2.5. To quote him ". .
.it's fast, I mean it's REALLY fast. It's top speed is classifed but
it will do Mach 2.5" This suggests that the top speed in afterburner
is over Mach 2.5. Paul Metz is the chief test pilot of the F-22
program.

My Mach 1.7 figure is what is admitted right now, not the final speed
of the aircraft. Typhoon also is said to do Mach 2.2 but that remains
to be seen. As for the F-22 doing Mach 2.5 fully loaded- no chance.
Maybe a test aircraft but not a combat version. BTW, the F-22s ceiling
of 60,000 ft and range of 3,500 miles might be slightly off... but not
by much. I did not mention them however because they are not verified
nor admitted by Lockheed.

That plays a big role in the F-22 CONOPS. Does Typhoon have that
facility? I know Grypen does.

Comparison of tankage would be helpful both internal and with external
tanks.

This information, in reliable terms, is hard to come by... so I left it out.

I have no idea on the Typhoon. The Flanker's is somewhere between 19k
and 20k internal. I don't know what it can carry external. I don't
recall ever seeing one with external tanks. The F-22 at first was
said to have 23,000 internal but then later I saw that it was
something like 18,700lbs. Add the roughly 20,000lbs of four 600
gallon tanks and you get 38,700lb of fuel. Roughly double the
Flanker's fuel load. For comparison an F-15E (or I I guess too) has
something like 13,500 internal, 10k in the conformal tanks and 15k
more in three 600 gallon tanks for a total of about 38,500lbs.

Six different kinds of AAMs on the Flanker? What is that, the AA-10,
AA-11, AA-12 and what AA-8? What are the other 2? R-37 was
cancelled, That air to air Krypton looking thing is a paper design
AFAIK and the AAA-AE or whatever that two stage long range missile was
has never entered service either.

Flanker AAMs: R-27, R-40, R-60, R-73A, R-77, and KS-172.
Flanker ASMs: Kh-25ML, Kh-25MP, Kh-29, KH-31, KH-59, KH-65S.
Flanker LGBs: GBU-500, GBU-1500, plus TV guided versions.
Flanker AR: KH-15P

Rob