Old October 21st 16, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Getting more XC pilots racing

I've been kinda quite here about the subject but would like to share with those who follow this forum a program we have been running in the Soaring Club of Houston the past 3 or 4 years.

The program is the weekend Task Days where we get together and fly tasks, score them, and hang out for a BBQ after flying. The format is not new and it is run at several other clubs including MASA, GTA, ASA, and probably others I don't know about.

It's low cost - a tow, and does not eat up vacation time if you have weekends off. This year was a very poor WX year for TX, yet we have had 33 Task Days so far and will most likely fly tasks this upcoming weekend. For a look at the participation go to the following link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...1VsS2ZlWTNad0k

Participation in our Task Days has increased 2 fold over the last 2 years with 30+ pilots participating this year.

To make this a learning experience we have created an analysis tool for the task days flights and we go through the analysis of each pilots flight against their peers and help them identify the gaps for improvement. We meet in the morning for a pilots briefing, set a task, fly, and then hang out by the pool (summer), or fire (winter).

What does it take to grow our XC and racing numbers - pilots who give of their time to make this type of program happen. We are fortunate as a club to have several of these pilots, including a National champion.

How to get started - just get out and do it - don't wait for someone else!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like to learn more.

Tony Smolder
TS1
Soaring Club of Houston