Old February 27th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Hart

Default Flying Gloves

Neil wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight, but good "grip" gloves
for use when gliding, that would be available in or from the UK?

Last (Australian) winter I went to Cooma to fly the wave. This meant
equipping myself with cold weather gear (for heights above 20,000ft I
hoped - unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and we only had one
day of wave to 13,500ft).

Be that as it may, the cold weather gear worked out well, including some
interesting gloves.

These were ski gloves that had the fingers ungloved, but there was a
mitt that folded over to cover the fingers when needed (and held back
out of the way with velcro. I purchased a pair of inner gloves (very
thin cotton) that I wore under these gloves and they worked really well.

In fact at only 13,500ft in bright sunshine I had to take off my
balacva, keep the gloves folded back and open the air vent - I also
wished I could turn off the chemical foot warmers!

--
Robert Hart
+61 (0)438 385 533