Old May 12th 04, 05:39 PM
CV

Bruce Greeff wrote:
Jim Newton wrote:

Can anyone tell me where in the FAR's or other official documents, a
glider
pilot is allowed to assemble his glider without having a certified
aircraft
mechanic sign off in the log book?
Jim

Can't speak for the USA, but in South Africa it is regarded as part of
the normal operation of the glider to de-rig and re-assemble. No sign
off required, no special qualification, no problems or requirements -
other than having enough sense to do your control checks and daily
inspection carefully afterwards...

I can't really speak for the USA either but I seem to remember this came
up just a few weeks ago and there were a couple of posts to the effect
that rigging/derigging of gliders is in fact exempt from that requirement,
even in the US.

I think they also mentioned where this was covered but can't remember
if it was in a specific FAR, or some established precedent on how to
apply the FAR's or something else. Try googling around in recent
threads.

CV