Old October 17th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cost of owning a Diamond DA40, new vs 5-6 years old

Peter R. wrote:
wrote:

What about a 5-6 years 2nd hand one ?

I don't own business and have no way of writting off any of the costs.

Responding here as a one time owner of new and used small aircraft, I would
look to purchase a used aircraft rather than a new one, especially in the
case where one is unable to write off the large depreciation expense.

In my experience, new single-engine aircraft these days are just like new
automobiles. Fly them off the showroom floor and the damn things
depreciate 20 percent that instant. Wait another year and resale value
falls even more. Perhaps not so dramatically, but it is a significant
expense that outweighs the protection of a new airplane warranty. But
that is only one man's opinion...

--
Peter

Indeed. There is a clifff on the price trend. It falls off quite
steeply in 5-6
years. Which is why I'm staring at the 5-6 year old planes.

A new one does give one the assurance that no one has buried
any fatigues in the structure. Only issue is I'm sensitive to both the
initial and the ongoing costs.

P S