Old March 28th 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Default Confusing SSA hand signals that should be changed

Why the rudder waggle? What's its purpose? The only country in the half dozen countries in which I have flown that does a rudder waggle is the US.

From the towplane, I can barely see an ASW-27's rudder waggle in the vibrating mirrors. It also means that as a towpilot I am focused on my mirrors to ensure I don't miss the waggle instead of the circuit and traffic around me prior to take-off.

In Canada, the standard take-up slack and all-out signals are provided by the wing-runner after receiving a thumbs-up from the pilot.

As someone else mentioned up-thread. If the pilot is not happy about launching at that instant, pull the yellow knob.