Old June 19th 18, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 21:24:27 -0600, kinsell wrote:

Do you not have the space required to install one big battery, instead
of multiple small ones? Never understood the fascination with switching
batteries, it just a distraction during flying. I think there's some
airline captain wannabees who just want more switches to flip.

He's talking about a Libelle, which has a battery compartment that was
apparently designed to hold one larger, flattish battery which now seems
to be an obsolete form factor. However, it will hold a pair or 7.2 AH 12v
SLAs if they are stood on one end and the top of the battery compartment
is raised 50mm by extending the hold-down bolts.

FWIW, My Std Libelle is set up that way, though with the hold-down bolts
running through brass tubes to keep them aligned with the screw holes
they fit into. I mount my EW Microrecorder on the battery lid with two
diodes so it always draws from the highest voltage battery and run power
to the panel separately from each battery via an XLR socket on the lid,
which also holds the fuses: one battery powers the radio and T&B while
the other runs both varios (SDI C4 and Borgelt B.40 with 9v backup
battery), PNA (running LK8000) and FLARM. This more or less balances the
load on both batteries - their recharge times after a day's flying are
fairly similar.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org