Old December 19th 03, 09:06 PM
Jay Honeck

My tent was just three rows east of Jay's. It stayed put. Aluminum vice
fiberglas poles and a full rain fly make a difference.

I just shielded yours from the wind! :-)

I had 3/4 inch (!) and 1 inch (!!) aluminum poles on that tent, a rain fly,
and the whole thing was staked down with 10 (!!!) stakes.

Didn't matter a bit -- the wind pulled those stakes out of the "soil"
(basically gravel under an inch of topsoil), and bent the poles over the
backside of my right aileron. Incredibly, the poles bent -- while the
aileron did not.

That was a perfect example of straight-line winds in the MidWest, which can
be as damaging as a tornado. We found the ground cloth -- previously under
the tent -- wrapped around a Skyhawk prop several rows down...

That old tent had survived four OSH fly-ins and a host of other trips,
including some near-tornadoes, without problem. Our new tent, while bigger,
has thinner fiberglass poles, which I don't much car for -- but I didn't
have much choice at the time. (It was the only tent available at a store
within walking distance of the North 40!)

Luckily, it doesn't stick straight up like a pole barn, like the old one
did -- so it should present a lower profile to the wind.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA