Old November 9th 04, 12:28 AM
Icebound

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:31:46 -0500, "Icebound"
wrote:

It was a rhetorical question. The real question was:
Why would you want to fly for 3.5 hours at the edge of a condition which
the
FARs state is only safe for 30 minutes or less? Since, technically, it
might not have been a violation if the altimeter setting was more than
29.92, I can see stretching it a bit... maybe 45 minutes or an hour. But
3.5???

Well, the way you initially phrased it was as a potential violation, which
it is not.

Well, to be precise, we do not know whether it was a violation or not.

If he was 12,500 indicated, for the whole 3.5 hours, and the actual
altimeter setting was less than 29.92 along more that 30 minutes of the
route, then the "pressure altitude" would have been higher than 12,500 in
that portion, and it *would* be a violation. If the actual altimeter
setting was at or above 29.92 then it would *not* be a violation.