Old March 13th 05, 05:31 PM
Bill Daniels

"Mitty" wrote in message
news

On 3/13/05 10:12 AM, soarski wrote the following:
Guess you did not read the whole story......
it says 3 h of flight instruction with an instuctor, and they mention
OR 10 Training Flights with an instructor.....

That's not the part that is unclear. That's why I didn't mention it. The
question is whether I need 20 solo flights in order to have 20 flights as

PIC.
Which it appears that I do.

As an instructor at a commercial glider operation, I think that you, like
most powered aircraft transition pilots, may be underestimating how
difficult this transition is. Today's SEL training programs place little
emphasis on basic airmanship, concentrating instead on things like
instrument flying and radio procedures. While difficult, a glider
transition is a tremendous amount of fun and it WILL make you a better
pilot.

Flying a glider requires a very high level of pure "stick and rudder"
airmanship. I bet the first time you take the controls of a glider you are
going to feel like a pre-solo student. The coordination standards are so
tight that a slip or skid that wouldn't even register on a ball will put our
yaw strings 30 degrees out of line - I want it dead center. That's only one
thing of many that soarski is referring to.

Go start your lessons. You'll be amazed at what you learn.

Bill Daniels