Old May 8th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

In article t,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...
So if the AIM says that handhelds are not authorized for IFR
navigation, there must be a rule somewhere, right?

One would think so, but there isn't.

There's a lot of stuff in the AIM that isn't backed up by a rule in the FARs.
My favorite example is "Land and Hold Short" operations. There's nothing
in the FARs about this, but the AIM explains it at length, including the
"requirement" to read back all hold short instructions. So, if it's not in the
FARs, then I don't actually have to read back that hold short instruction,
right?!? (Yeah...try that at a busy airport and see how far you get...)

-- Dane