Old March 10th 07, 11:19 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
Tony

Default Another hour logged

Dear Mr Crash

Since it's been decades, not years, since I was signed off as a PP,
things probably have changed, but I remember a lesson dear old CFII J
O'B taught.

He pointed out that if I was to suffer an engine failure at any time
after passing the numbers downwind and not be able to glide to the
runway, if I didn't die in the crash he'd kill me for embarrassing
him! He reserved the right, during dual instruction, to yank the
throttle full back, lean back, and cross his arms. Woe on the student
who couldn't make the numbers comfortably.

The point is this -- don't get too low! You have flaps, you have
slips, all kinds of tools for dumping energy, but there may come a
time when you don't have a way of adding any.

Once you're at pattern altitude you're becoming a superior pilot if
all of your power adjustments are in the downward direction. Pay
attention to CHT, cowl flaps if you have them, things like that, to
keep the engine 'comfortable', but try very hard to not put yourself
in a circumstance where you have to add power.

Now, there's an important point here. Safety is the point. The "I want
to be a superior pilot" ego should not prevent you from adding power
if you have to. Just give yourself a lower grade on that landing, and
go forth and sin no more.

May the wind be gentle on your nose during the flare!

On Mar 9, 11:41 pm, "Crash Lander" wrote:
Well, the vibration in the prop that I mentioned last week has been
rectified. Aparently they fixed it up during the week. No sign of
vibration anymore.

Did 2 circuits with the instructor today, and 5 solo. Was reasonable
happy with my last touch down, but all the rest were a bit sloppy.
Winds were about 12kts, and between 100 and 120 degrees, which really
made it crosswind circuits, as we were using runway 17. I guess this
partly explains why the landings were not to my liking, but not
completely. Most of the approaches were a bit low too, with 1 being low
enough to give me a bit of a scare. Came in too low, and had to give
almost full power to clear the trees. Was happy with my result in that
one though, as I recognised the situation, and tought it out clearly. I
remember being careful not to panic and pull back too hard on the
stick. Otherwise I would have stalled the wings and had a closer look
at the branches. I applied the power, and pushed the nose down a little
to gain speed, then gently pulled back on the stick. She gained speed
and climbed nicely. I'm sure it was nowhere near as close a call as I
thought it was, but it was really the first time I've had to 'take
evasive action'.

Booked in again for next saturday afternoon, and I should knock off the
balance of my solo circuits requirement then, so we can move on to the