Old February 13th 12, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default New Butterfly Vario

One more comment and then I promise I'll shut up on this topic for a
few days:

-----
§ 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for,
and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.
-----

SSA rules do not trump FARs, nor do the SSA rules take precedence over
the responsibility of the PIC. Even if the SSA permits AH devices,
its still the PIC who's at-fault if he dies while trying to cloud-fly.

(And if he's that eager to cheat and cares that little about his own
safety, do we really think a rule will discourage him? Especially
when things like iPhones and PDAs and mini-EFIS systems are so
portable and readily available?)

--Noel