Old September 1st 04, 07:00 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Bill,

Can't say I agree, but at least from my point of view, you are erring
on the side of safety.

Here is a simple argument that I have backed up with experiment in
many types of gliders. An aircraft that is capable of spinning during
a stall while aileron and rudder are held neutral (and within
published cg limits) is inherently unsafe. This means that such a
glider flown into a strong, turbulent wind gradient 50 feet above the
ground is likely to autorotate. Since recovery from an insipient spin
requires much more altitude than a straight ahead stall, there is a
very good chance that such a glider would see very few flights before
being retired.

I have proven to myself many times that stalling a glider without
abusing the controls results not in a spin but a spiral dive. While we
can all point to experiences of having a wing drop and losing control
in a stall, I doubt very seriously that any of us were holding
coordinated controls throughout the stall break. It takes a very
determined effort not to move the stick throughout the stall and
self-recovery.

Here's another argument. The vertical stabilizer provides a great deal
of yaw stability, even at very low speeds. To start autorotation, you
need a source of drag at the tip greater than the normal differential
to be expected resulting from span effect in a turn. That we don't
kill ourselves everytime the glider approaches stall is testament to
the stability provided by the tail. That we occasionally do screw
gliders into the ground makes me think that the cause lies more in the
way we are applying the controls under stress than any inherent
tendency of the glider snap into a spin at the least external
provocation. Yes, outside factors can influence how the glider flies,
but I think they do more damage by causing pilots to react in
unacceptable ways.

Ventus. What it drives home in my mind is that spins are the result of
control abuse. You're right, don't stall land you won't spin. But it's
just as right to say that a stall needn't develop into a spin so long
as the controls are not abused.