Old January 6th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fiberglass adhesion to aluminum?

Thanks for the info.
BTW, this is on the cowling, not the spinner.

Dave
Dave S wrote:
wrote:

How well does fiberglass adhere to aluminum?
What system is better.
I have easy access to the West system chemicals.

Any hints? Alodine first?

Thanks

Dave

You have to sand the AL to roughen it up, to provide something for the
epoxy to bite into. The hardpoints in the Velocity construction are
prepared in this manner. No alodining, no painting. Coarse grit
Sandpaper to roughen. I want to say we used Velocipoxy resin and
hardner, or alpha Poxy, on our work.

I am more concerned about the need to BALANCE the spinner, and if you
apply a layup on one side of the bowl, you may need to put another layup
on the other side to provide some sort of balancing effect. I am not
exactly sure of how much force is involved at only 8-10" from the hub at
the RPMS involved. I've never patched a spinner in this manner but
intuitively it COULD work.

Dave