Old August 12th 03, 04:41 PM
Robert M. Gary

It depends. Ok, you want something more real. There are two types
of places a CFI can choose to work at. The big schools that keep you
busy and work you a lot of hours will pay in the area of $10/hr. Make
sure mom and dad keep sending you checks. A small FBO or club will
charge the CFI around $5/hr. So if you charge $30/hr, you keep $25.
However, a small FBO or club is unlikely to provide more than 2 hours
a day of teaching to a full time CFI, so you make more money and more
hours working for peanuts at the big schools.

However, most FBOs and clubs will wave the fee if you find the student
yourself. This is what I do when teaching with the local clubs. If I
find the student and bring them to the club, I keep the entire fee.
However, I have the overhead of paying club dues when I never rent
myself.

-Robert, CFI

(Peter Gibbons) wrote in message . com...
I know I will probably get alot of 'it depends' in response to this
question, but I guess I'm curious when a flight school charges a
student $25/hr for flight instruction, what chunk of that actually
goes to the CFI?

And realistically your average CFI is not flying all the time. Figure
in weather delays, ground school, etc - what would a 'good' yearly
salary for a full-time, low-hour CFI be?