Old December 31st 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Gaskins[_2_]

Default Plane Accidentally Starts Moving With 6-Year-Old Inside

On Dec 31, 4:34*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
I seem to remember a rule about a licensed pilot at the controls when
hand propping.

Am I dreaming?

I know some airports require it. I can't find anything FAR's
regarding it in a quick web search.

The FAA's Airplane Handbook however (which is not a set of rules but
rather a textbook) suggests a person "familiar with the controls" to
be inside the plane.

The few guys I know at the airport who have planes that need to be
hand propped generally just find anyone nearby. Several times I've
seen one guy who owns a pretty nice J-3 let one of the younger
teenagers that hangs around the airport sit inside while he propped
the plane, and as a "present" he let the kid taxi it over to the fuel
pumps.

Of course he's not much for regulations even if that was illegal. I've
seen the same guy take that little plane off from the parking ramp
rather than taxi out to the runway O.O.

Mike Gaskins