Old July 16th 03, 05:39 PM
Simon Walker

Hi Gail,

There is actually no prescribed direction to turn at
release of tow in the UK.
You can turn either way, and I do. However, most people
do assume that it is 'Turn left off tow'
What kind of nasty accident do you imagine might happen
if you turn left instead of right or vice versa?

At 15:06 16 July 2003, Gail wrote:

PTS accuracy landing, whats that. In UK all landings
are supposed to be
accurate.

Here...here! Although having said that, my parking
isn't always quite as
elegant as it should be, but then my excuse is that
I'm a novice pilot with
only a mere 130+ hours.

Talking of international differences, I was talking
to a German glider pilot
recently and we were discussing aerotows. When I suggested
that we (glider
pilots in the UK) release and climb left, he said 'oh,
in Germany its the
other way around, we release and climb right!' I'm
glad I found this out
early it might have saved me from a nasty accident
in the future.

The curious thing about all of this is I would have
thought that all FAI
members would have subscribed to the same standards
but it seems not so.

Gail