Old July 16th 03, 07:02 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:38:07 +0100, "Gail"
wrote:

PTS accuracy landing, whats that. In UK all landings are supposed to be
accurate.

Here...here! Although having said that, my parking isn't always quite as
elegant as it should be, but then my excuse is that I'm a novice pilot with
only a mere 130+ hours.

Talking of international differences, I was talking to a German glider pilot
recently and we were discussing aerotows. When I suggested that we (glider
pilots in the UK) release and climb left, he said 'oh, in Germany its the
other way around, we release and climb right!' I'm glad I found this out
early it might have saved me from a nasty accident in the future.

Not everywhere in the UK.

At Cambridge we climb to the right after release like the rest of the
world - except during the Gransden Regionals where we climb left to
keep the visitors happy. I don't know the reason behind this - it
predates my membership by a long time.

The curious thing about all of this is I would have thought that all FAI
members would have subscribed to the same standards but it seems not so.

They do just about everywhere outside the UK. I've heard the basis is
that a left turning tug gives its left-seat pilot a better view of
goings on below him.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK