Old December 13th 04, 03:49 PM
Roy Smith

One-third of the instrument rating is learning attitude flying- how to fly
S&L, make turns, climbs, and descents accurate by reference to instruments
only

13-14 hours to learn how to atttitude fly?

Either you got a slow student or a bad instructor, in my opinion.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "learn how to attitude fly".
It's one thing to keep it straight and level for short periods of time
while concentrating hard. It another thing to hold heading and
altitude to tight tolerances and execute climbs, descents, and turns
for hours on end with almost no thought given to it, so you can devote
you entire attention to procedures. Add in silly maneuvers like steep
turns and more important stuff like partial panel and unusual attitude
recoveries, and it's a lot of work.

Once you got that stuff down cold, flying approaches is easy. My
instrument training had me doing approaches almost from day one. As a
result, I was strugging to keep up with the airplane and spent a lot
of time getting frustrated because I wasn't making any progress.