Old November 6th 17, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Schmitz

Default Overspeeding on winch launches

I'm wondering what the consequences of overspeeding on winch launches are? I understand that it places stress on the airframe, but to what extent?

I find it near impossible to control the airspeed on the top third of a launch and have found myself over speeding the placarded max. speed by 5 - 10 knots a few times despite signalling to the winch driver.

Should I be taking the approach of releasing at 2/3 of typical launch height (e.g. 700 - 800 foot) if my airspeed isn't under control at this point?

Thanks in advance