Old November 7th 17, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default Overspeeding on winch launches

At 00:33 07 November 2017, waremark wrote:
I don't agree with:

", i.e. when the climb=20
starts to flatten, you should release immediately if you're even

slightly=
=20
above the placarded max winch speed. "

I do agree of course that exceeding the placarded limit is not a

problem
ea=
rlier in the launch when the cable is pulling the glider more

forward than
=
down, but that the load on the glider (and the weak link) is more

critical
=
towards the end of the launch. However, rather than releasing, I

think
that=
safety (and not breaking the weak link) can be achieved by

relaxing the
ba=
ck pressure.

The correct weak link should prevent any glider from suffering

structural
f=
ailure, and probably does. But has anyone ever heard of any

accident
caused=
by exceeding a placarded maximum launch speed?

I watched a fatal winch launch accident happen ,and it still haunts
me.
The climb was not steep but the pilot got into a PIO while trying to
sort it out .1 wing broke off near the root and it came down
side ways.
There were structural faults in the glider wing and the weak link was
doubled,BUT the experienced winch driver said there was little load
on the cable.
We put it down to the change in angle of attack at high speed, the
load hits the wing first, then the hook, it is not until all the bow is
taken from the cable that the load it on the weak link and the driver
feels it.
max winch means max.
However I have not let it stop me, but I never have full back stick at
near max winch speed and I try to be smooth .
Jon May