Old April 22nd 04, 05:10 PM
JohnD

Have him show you how to perform a proper pin check and visual
inspection.

Every time we put our parachute on we should have performed this. I
have 1000's of parachute jumps and KNOW how important it is to do this
EVERY time and believe me I did it every time when I was using it
every time! I have known people who have died due to malfunctions
which would have been detected by a pin check.

Yet, even I do not do this every time now as a pilot, go figure. My
wife, who also has lots of jumps, busts me on it regularly. Bless her
heart.

I firmly believe that if we had a test at the next nationals less than
20% of the pilots would know how to perform a pin check and few if any
would admit they had performed one on the last 50 flights.

My point: Every time we have our 'chute repacked we should review our
pin check and inspection practices with our rigger. What benefit is
there to wearing it if it doesn't work? Just a small piece of gravel
in the cable housing can cause a total failure (ie: no parachute no
matter how hard you pull).

Visualize THAT. 'When ants look like people.....'

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message news:hZAhc.184310$JO3.104818@attbi_s04...
I'm going to watch my parachute get repacked this evening. The local Master
Rigger is teaching a rigging class and I'm invited to watch him repack my
'chute in front of the class.

Can I ask him any questions for r.a.s.?

Bill Daniels