Old September 4th 04, 04:48 AM
Dave S

The FAA's mindset is about 30 years behind the times with regards to
their take on Psych meds.. once upon a time, the psych meds had such
crude mechanisms of action and their side effects were so severe, that
they were only used in the most severe of psychiatric illnesses..

Truth was.. back then, if you were messed up enough to need meds, then
you didnt need to be flying.

Fast forward a few decades.. the meds are much better.. more specific,
less side effects.. and they are no longer the sole realm of
Psychiatrists. Pediatricians and Family Practicioners hand out Prozac
and Zoloft like they are candy, and the cure-all for PMS, maladjustment
disorders and anything else they think a "feel good" pill would fix.
However, the FAA still has the approach that if you are out of kilter
enough to require medication, then you are out of kilter enough to be
denied a medical.

It doesnt matter what the disorder, how bad, how long, how well
adjusted.. what flavor medication.. if it's a psychotropic med, its
automatically disqualifying under that premise. Good luck with a waiver
based on demonstrated ability...

And this is not meant to be a slight to you, but rather to any newbies
who are following this... DO YOUR HOMEWORK... You wouldnt take a written
test or practical test unprepared... likewise, dont have any surprises
when you go to the medical test. Know what they are looking for, and
where you fit. AOPA is a great resource with regards to this.

Had you been aware of the limitations beforehand.. you could have
addressed in several possible ways.

1) nondisclosure (lying by omission).. which has a whole nother set of
consequences, if discovered.. but very well may have been the
"reasonable and prudent" course of action by a body of your peers..

2) a trial "drug holiday" managed closely by your primary doctor to see
if the condition requiring medication re-emerges to the point of
clinical significance (you get "sick" again)

3) a conscious decision not to pursue an exam by an AME and opt for
flying options that do not require such an exam (sport pilot)

Others have said, and I continue to say.. AOPA is a good resource with
regards to this, and many other certification related issues.

Dave

pjbphd wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately from what I've found out,
including a conversation with AOPA, I'm screwed. Almost.

Here's the deal. I've been on Effoxor, an anti-depressant for a few years.
It's not allowed by the FAA. I tired to contact the AME today, but he was
out of the office. Hopefully I'll reach him next week. Nevertheless,
because I've disclosed it to him, it is my understanding that he has to
report it. Therefore, my only recourse is to discontinue it's use.
Something I'd like to do anyway, but it's pretty sad when a medication must
be discontinued to comply with an FAA rule. As I mentioned, I've been
asymptomatic for some time. I've also operated fine on high elevation
mountains (14,000 feet) while taking it with no problem.

This isn't the fault of the AME, he's just the bearer of bad news. It is
frustrating for me, but not depressing grin. It looks like at a minimum
it'll put my flight training on hold for six months, and maybe permanently.
If anyone has any additional advice, I'm open.

pjbphd

BTW, when the DR. who prescribed the Effexor read the FAR and AOPA
information stating that it is a disqualifying medication he said "That's
insane!" Then he said "Oh, I shouldn't say that!" grin

"pjbphd" wrote in message

I'm taking flight lessons and was hoping to get my private pilot

certificate

not too far down the line. Today I went in for my medical and was told by
the examiner I have a couple problems. Although I've been asymptomatic

for

some time I'm on a medication that is not allowed by the FAA. When I went
to the physician who prescribed the medication (a non-pilot) he was

shocked

that the FAA does not allow pilots to take it. Unfortunately he does not
recommend I discontinue its use. Nor is there an alternative medication
acceptable to the FAA.

Do I have any recourse other than discontinuing the medication even though
my physician recommends I stay on it or accepting that I won't be able to
fly. In other words is there any kind of appeal process provided I can

get

the prescribing physician to state the medication does not impair my
abilities? This is particularly frustrating in that had I known the med

was

not allowed, starting YESTERDAY I could have gone for a recreational

pilots

certificate without a medical review, but now it's too late.

Any help will be appreciated.

--
Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to email me
directly please send messages to pjbphd @ cox dot net