Old September 22nd 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default HP series landing gear info needed

Brad,

I have owned an HP-16T and my current HP-14. They both have struts almost
identical to the HP-18. I haven't had significant problems with either one.
We also have a HP-11 in the area and that bird hasn't exhibited problems.

I initially rebuilt my HP-14 strut as part of getting it ready to fly after
a 20 year hiatus from flight. It may, or may not have needed the rebuild.
I service the strut with N2 prior to each annual condition inspection. It
will last a full year if the stored in the trailer between flights. If I
leave it tied out on the ramp it may need to be serviced midseason.

Wayne

"Brad" wrote in message news:6bfb95c6-1125-466b-b952-75c360f3cfc8@
dl27g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 22, 11:41 am, T8 wrote:
On Sep 22, 1:14 pm, Brad wrote:

Can someone familiar with the HP series of aircraft give me some info
regarding the landing gear shock strut charging process? I am about
ready to install it and need info on fluid type, amount and charging.

Thanks,
Brad
N599GK

Not an HP-18 strut, I hope. I must have rebuilt mine a dozen times.
Usually on great soaring days when it went flat on the way out to the
line. Just weld the ef'fing thing. Or cut off a couple well chosen
lengths of broom handle to fill the space. The basic problem with the
18 strut was no bearing surface and no way to maintain alignment.
When compressed, it would end up rubbing metal on metal inside the
cylinder, it would gall, the galled surface would then make short work
of the o-rings.

You filled each leg with enough auto tranny fluid to reach the piston
at full extension (rusty memory -- maybe 3" in ea leg), assemble,
then charge from N2 bottle (best) or cessnoid type strut pump borrowed
from spam-can mechanic. It takes several hundred psi. On the third
rebuild, go find a broom that needs a shorter handle.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

guys, it IS an HP-18 strut...................is this typical of all
HP-18 struts? dealing with a low tire is one thing, dealing with a
defective strut is another, especially on good soaring days!

Brad