Old March 23rd 12, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default Artificial Turf Runway

On Mar 23, 2:37*pm, Tony wrote:
On Friday, March 23, 2012 3:23:11 PM UTC-5, Mike C wrote:
On Mar 23, 10:41*am, tomcatvf51
wrote:
US Air Force Academy has installed an artificial turf landing area for
glider ops.

http://www.usafa.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123294443

--
tomcatvf51

A *colossal *waste of taxpayer money. *But, if you don't spend it this
year you will not get the funding next year.

Mike

The academy spent a million more(4.8 million,http://www.koaa.com/news/af-academy-...adet-tra...the recent upgrade to the DG-1000's after retiring their Blaniks. The Blaniks lasted 9 years. Before the Blaniks they flew 2-33's. I doubt the 2-33's minded the rough runways. *Apparently the Blaniks did not fare so well. Perhaps a combo of rough runway and aggressive preflights? *Thinking out loud here, i'm guessing the thought process is that if a smoother runway will extend the life of the gliders by 80% then it is worth it. Probably cheaper than concrete too.

Having been a sales rep and installer of artificial turf sports
surfaces, someone was sold a bill of goods, not a working solution,
for the alleged problem of composite sailplanes falling apart on a
grass surface. I doubt the installation will last 10 years.

Mike