Old April 27th 20, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider Purchase Procedure - Annual & Pre Purchase Inspection?

I'm no expert (and there are plenty in this group) but I have owned a 1976 ASW 15 for 20 years or so. Unlike a car or sailboat, the routine maintenance costs have been very low. In fact, outside of self-inflicted damage, I've never had a large bill. There really isn't that much to wear out. Changing the Tost release, replacing the tire, a new grip on the stick, adding safety sleeves on the connections and replacing the battery are about all that I can think of. I'm toying with upgrading the panel but I don't race and it is functional for the kind of flying I do. If you opt for an older ship, be sure that parts are available should you need them. If you stick with the major manufacturers, it shouldn't be a problem. DG "tax" may be a consideration.

You won't get the same performance from an older glider and if a re-finish is in the cards, that is a major cost. Perhaps more than the glider itself and probably not recoverable in resale. If you have the time and skills to do this yourself (few of us do), you can save a lot. Also, safety cockpits weren't really a thing in the 70s. If your budget is limited and you can find a nice older ship, I wouldn't hesitate but to each, his own.