Old February 27th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Glider Safety, etc.

On Feb 27, 12:25*am, delboy wrote:

It seems that the more or less voluntary British Gliding Association
has a much better handle on its UK gliding instructors than the FAA.
We have to register through our clubs each year, and also achieve a
minimum number of instructing and solo hours, with periodic reviews of
our flying and instructing skills.

I don't doubt that is true. There is no requirement in US to have
even been within sight of an aircraft to maintain a valid, current,
instructor rating. It is possible, for example, to take an "on line"
instructor re-validation course every 2 years to maintain the
rating.

That's not all bad though. I would take advantage of that rule if I
returned to UK and resumed instructing there. I would still be able
to keep my FAA instructor rating current even while out of the
country. Letting it lapse requires a new certification test, just the
same as initial issuance, which is why many instructors keep the
rating current even if they don't use it. There is always the chance
they will need it some time in the future.

Note that club's may impose more stringent conditions. To instruct
for one local club requires an annual flight check with the chief
flying instructor, as well as a current FAA instructor certificate,
but has no requirement for minimum glider flight time or instructing
time.

Andy