Old October 6th 15, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 11:17:37 AM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
Pay out winch works great! Our airport manager here won't let me use it here tho...
Enjoy this video from our Alvord Desert Safari:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8bVgG8xJc

Boggs

A payout winch can be forced to work with a low speed glider like a 2-33 but don't try to launch a heavy composite that way. If you do the math you'll see that the tow car will have to hit nearly 100mph.

When one looks at all the alternatives, it's clear that the cheapest, quickest, simplest way to ground launch a glider is with a winch. Auto tow in all its variations just can't compete.