Old April 26th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Non existent VOR

john smith wrote in news:jsmith-ED8342.17581501042006
@network-065-024-007-028.columbus.rr.com:

I flew from Ohio to Florida early this week. The third leg was from
Valdosta (KVLD) GA to West Palm Beach (KPBI) FL.
My originally filed route was amended twice before I got 25 miles. JAX
Center gave me PHK (Pahokee VOR) as my final fix before KPBI.
As I was nearing the east shore of Lake Okeechobee, the approach
controller asked me if I was going direct to some intersection.
I responded that I was flying direct PHK.
He then told me PHK had disappeared in one of the hurricanes last year.
I told him that I was going to ask if any had reported that the VOR was
out of service, as I had not been receiving any signal on the nav
receiver.
There was no NOTAM in any of my briefings, center gave me an amended
clearance with the fix included, and it is charted on the new charts
(IFR and Sectionals).
Only the local controllers told seem to know the navaid did not exist.
This one gets a NASA Form 277.

Sorry, I haven't had time to read this group for awhile, so I'm replying
to a rather old post.

The Sabine Pass (SBI) and Leeville (LEV) VORs were also destroyed by
Katrina and Rita. LEV is back up, but AFAIK SBI is still OTS (at least
it was a couple of weeks ago). You have to check the NOTAMs for stuff
like this, that's what they're for.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin