Old August 4th 03, 12:07 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Victor wrote:
: When does an engine needs an overhaul? There are several indications
: that the engine is comming to the end of its life. But what do peolple
: really look for to decide an engine is to go to overhaul.

: Low oil pressure, High oil temperature, Low cylinder compression, Loss
: of power. Which is the factor that maters most. For example low
: cylinder compression can easily be fixed replacing the cylinder not
: necessarilly an overhaul.

Low power (low static RPM with a fixed-pitch prop), high oil consumption,
excessive camshaft wear (on lycoming engines), and the Lycoming oil
pump AD are popular reasons to overhaul. I think pilot comfort factor is
very important as well.

The Lyc. oil pump AD is what made my friend overhaul after 30 years and
3200 hours of operation of his O-320. Other wise it was running well.

Another friend had ignored the impulse coupling AD, and had the impulse
disintegrate and fill the oil with metal. Time for an overhaul!
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)