Old August 15th 03, 04:17 PM

Mike Spera wrote:

: Our engine had 1830 hours and 18 years. It had been flown only 40 hours
: for each of 2 of those years. Oil consumption was 1 quart in about 2.5
: hours. Compressions were in the mid 60s and dropping. It was leaking oil
: at the lower front case seal. The #1 cylinder had already been replaced
: for an exhaust port crack. Replacement cylinder was an off-the-rack
: chrome overhauled unit of unknown history. Baffle seals were eroding.
: Oil/fuel hoses were antiques. Muffler needed overhaul. Carb heat shields
: were deteriorating. Motor mount needed repainting. Carb accel pump seal
: was just replaced for leakage. The oil pump gear AD was due. At that
: time, the crankshaft corrosion AD was due and did not yet exempt the
: 150hp engine (which this was).

: It was time.

: Mike

Uh, yeah. I've got a buddy with a Cherokee 150 that just started
making metal in the screen. I'm thinking that it's time too. Probably
eating its cam, eh?

: The Worlds Uncensored News Source
:

* The prime directive of Linux: *