Old December 23rd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Default Cleared for the ILS 16 or circle to land 34 question?

Mark Hansen wrote in
:

On 12/22/06 14:46, A Lieberma wrote:
Was out doing approaches this morning to knock off the rust.

Called into JAN approach and requested ILS approaches into HKS under
visual rules.

Was 5 miles outside Brenz final approach fix and received the
clearance; Cleared for the ILS 16 approach or circle to land 34
Hawkins.

As Sam said, I don't know why they would have said this. Presumably,
the approach controller know whether you intended to terminate your
approach with a missed approach or landing - is that true?

I had requested an ILS approach after the approach when I received the
clearance, so approach knew I wasn't doing a full stop.

When I've flown circle to land maneuvers at non-towered fields, I've
descended to the standard TPA and joined the pattern (this assumes
VMC, of course).

Before I got my Garmin 430, all I could do was circle to land at my home
airport KMBO. Even with my new addition, I request the VOR Alpha as it
makes it real easy to join the pattern when VFR traffic in the mix.

Allen