View Single Post
Old December 18th 18, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Looking for A-14 (or similar) pressure breathing diluter demand regulator

On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 2:32:17 PM UTC-7, Keith Schwab wrote:
Hi Everyone!
I'm looking for an A-14 regulator, or something similar, to prepare for higher altitude wave flights in the Sierra. Curious if anyone has an one laying around they might be willing to part with or lend for a season.
Thanks!
Keith

Following up on Keith's post, I've done a lot of work investigating A14 regulators as I too am interested in getting equipped to fly high the Sierra wave. I'll spare you all the gory details of my research but here follow the key points to consider. I also found a line on several "NS", new surplus, A14s that meet all the the requirements for safe use and I will be glad to hook up interested pilots. Getting quantity and pricing info now.

A14 Issues
* vintage units use Radium-226 paint and are no longer legal. No one will work on these even if brand new.
* vintage units were only rated for 500 psi maximum inlet pressure and had a brass inlet housing. Need stainless steel inlet housing or an insert modification for anyone to overhaul.
* only FPI out of Ohio will overhaul A14s. Demand was too low for other shops to continue so most, if not all, discontinued service. If anyone knows of another shop let me know. Monopoly shops tend to charge more!
* FPI will only service FPI units build in 1990 with part #1550. They will return all other units to you. Liability issues? New A14s from FPI are $1,700.
* for the purpose of this listing, vintage = 1989 and older. I bought a "NS" unit from 1954. Beautiful but only good as a boat anchor.

A MH system will only get you to single Lennie territory (FL250). To get to double and triple Lennie altitudes, up to FL400+, you will need a diluter demand pressure breathing unit like the A14.

Masks, hoses, flow meters, pressure gauges, bailout bottles, and microphone amplifiers, jacks and plugs, to convert from military to civilian impedance radio systems, are also readily available in new condition. Contact me for details on suppliers and part numbers.

Jim
VVII