Old March 16th 04, 12:00 AM
Mike Kanze

Morten,

4000 lbs JP4

Microscopic nit: Carrier-borne aircraft used JP5 in my day. Higher
flashpoint, thus safer around the boat. Not sure, but ISTR the boat uses
another JP type these days?!

Ashore, they burn JP4, allowing XC stops at the nice golf courses positioned
at nearly all AFBs. g

--
Mike Kanze

"When you're majoring in abnormal psychology, ALL television is
educational!"

- Frank & Ernest, 3/9/04

"morten lund" wrote in message
. ..
Not being the professional my self, but an avid desktop pilot, my
understanding is that trap values are a meassure of the maximum bringback
fuelweight that would allow the AC to trap the wire on the carrier. 4.0
would mean 4000 lbs JP4, which might be considered a bit on the skimpy

side,
espc. in bad weather, at night or with a wounded bird, what with no easy
divert field close by.

I'm not certain of the numbers (and others will hopefully correct me) but

think that 4.0 is near minimums to two attempts at the deck if there is
other traffic in the pattern, when flying the F4

and cheers for the info, I'm brushing up on my Vietnam knowledge in
anticipation of recieving my next boardgame: "Downtown", which looks at
strike warfare in routepack 5 and 6 (AFAIR)

cheers,
Morten

"Rob van Riel" wrote in message
om...
(Pechs1) wrote in message

robvr- Navy Phantoms were capable of carrying a 20mm gunpod, but

there
is an
abundance of references stating this weapon was worse than useless for
air to air use, and thus not carried. BRBR

The biggest obstacle was the weight of the thing and how ya had to

'bring it
back'.

Makes sense.

If ya had 2 and 2 and the pod, max trap was in the 4.0 range. Plus

wing
tanks got the crap beat outta them on the boat.

Almost makes sense, mainly because I never flew anything myself, let
alone a Navy jet. Would 2 and 2 mean 2 Sparrow, 2 Sidewinder? What do
max trap values mean? I know enough to know this has something to do
with landing parameters, but I couldn't tell you what to save my life.

Rob