View Single Post
Old November 21st 19, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default How did you install your FLARM brick and/or ADS-B Out?

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 9:45:09 AM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 9:31:50 PM UTC-6, wrote:
(...)

I refuse to install flarm, because I consider that company to be actively obstructing the adoption of adsb in gliders, by diverting money better spent on adsb, and by not allowing flarm traffic displays to accept non-flarm-format inputs. My glider has a Trig 22 and TN72 and a scout adsb-in sending data to the foreflight on my kneepad iphone.

I refuse to install FLARM because it doesn't make sense to me that I actually need BOTH the FLARM and a transponder/ADSB to see and be seen by others in the air. I know and understand the point about 'collision avoidance' vs. 'situational awareness'. I accept the fact that competition pilots flying in gaggles feel and are safer with the additional warnings from FLARM. ADDITIONAL to your eyes, because if you are flying that close to other aircraft(s) you should be looking out and not at the instruments.
All my clubs' gliders are equipped with FLARM, but I heard several skeptical opinions from fellow members. My recent experience was: beep-beep-beep.... Where is he? Oh gosh, so close cutting in behind me at the same altitude.. I'd rather be warned in advance about him approaching to be able to control his position all the time.
Also, very discouraging to me are the endless discussions about antennas, range issues and software updates.

So I'm looking forward to seeing a device integrating and combining the advantages of gliding-specific FLARMs with GA universal transponders/ADS-B.

^^ That's just not going to happen. And you can get a flavor for why from other concurrent threads here.