Old June 22nd 04, 06:06 PM
Peter Duniho

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...
So where are some of these airports where the Class D airspace reaches

only
500' AGL?

It's called a typo. I know it's difficult to see where the "2" should have
gone, so I'll give you a hint: put it right before the "5" in "500".

Controlled airspace is established by legislation and is not altered by
letters of agreement between ATC facilities.

Fine.

When classes of airspace overlap, the operating rules associated with the
more restrictive airspace class are applied.

As I assumed. That doesn't answer the question I asked though. When a
tower controller tells me that I am no longer their problem but the chart
tells me I'm still in their Class D airspace, does that mean I have to
switch over to the approach facility and talk to them?

Note that I'm not talking about a situation in which Class D overlaps with
some other more restrictive airspace. I'm talking about the situation in
which the ceiling of the Class D controlled by the tower has been lowered by
some letter of agreement, but where there was already an area of Class E
between the Class B and Class D. For example, a TIW I recently learned that
the tower controller there only is responsible for traffic up to 2000' MSL,
but the Class B doesn't start until 6000' MSL (3000' MSL north of the
airport, but within the lateral limits of the Class D). The Class D as
charted goes up to 2800' MSL.

Since you say that controlled airspace is not altered by LOA, that implies
that the airspace up to 2800' MSL is still Class D. But the TIW control
tower has said they don't have responsibility for that portion of the Class
D. On the other hand, I was not given a handoff as I climbed through the
top, and by the time I managed to actually get Seattle Approach on the radio
with my particulars, I'd have flown out the side of the airspace.

Am I really legally required to contact the approach facility given
responsibility for that portion of the Class D airspace? I have never done
so, I have never had ATC complain about it, and given the usual busy-ness of
the approach frequencies, it would be impractical to have to deal with them
for the brief period of time one would spend in "their" portion of the Class
D.

Pete