Old September 1st 05, 09:03 PM
three-eight-hotel

Cecil,

I went through the same struggle, before I bought my 172... I liked
the 140, because of the thought of throwing my 2 young children in the
back, but decided to go with the 172 (160 hp).

I can't really say it was a one vs. the other decision I came to,
because I could have gone either way... To be fair though, I've had
more experience in a 172 and probably was leaning that way in my mind
anyway. I really like the overall stability and flying characteristics
of the 172. It's the classic trainer and seems to want to fly itself.
I have never had a bad experience with a cherokee (flew a 180 and a
couple of 140's), and enjoyed most of my flights in them, so I'm not
trying to sell you one way or the other.

I think bottom line is... what purpose do you hope either plane will
fill for you? Are you planning on upgrading down the road? Will you
be training others in it, or getting trained yourself? What are you
most used to and comfortable flying? What's your budget?

Go out with the willingness to buy either and let the "right" plane
come to you! I had a few shady prospects go bad before I stumbed onto
my 172, and let me tell you... it was destiny! I knew from the minute
I saw it, that it was going to be the plane I would be getting my
instrument rating in and would be taking my kids to Disneyland in! I
came sooo close to pulling the trigger on a 140, and was mid-way
through a deal on another 172 that fell through. Neither of those felt
right, as I had buyers remorse even before finalizing the purchase.
The 172 I did buy though.... I have never doubted in my mind, that she
wasn't meant to be mine!

It's funny though... I bought the plane to be a family plane, and as
hectic as family can tend to be at times, they've all been in the
plane, together at one time, only a handful of times. However, those
handful of times have been some of my best experiences as a pilot!
Especially our last trip to your neck of the woods (left the plane at
Watsonville for a week and stayed in a beach house at Aptos).

A 152 or something similar would have probably served most of the
purpose of my flying for the last 3 years, but those few times of
wanting to go somewhere with the family have made it all worth it. I
know I could always rent for trips like that, but I REALLY like the
fact that I know the plane is going to be where I left it last, I know
it has been well maintained, and I know how hard the last landing was
in it! ;-)

Don't think so hard about it, and just start shopping! Physically
inspect and fly a few planes. You'll start to develop a taste for what
you are looking for, much like buying a house. Then one day... "Your"
plane is going to find "You"!

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted!
Todd