Old October 30th 04, 12:50 PM
Rick McPherson

Default currency

Hello All, I've been lurking in the shadows of this group for the
duration of my ifr training and subsequent passage of my ride. Thanks
to all of you for the great info. Now, my question is about
maintaining currency, the Regs state:"No person may act as pilot in
command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums
prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding six calendar months
that person has performed: (i) at least six instrument approaches;
(ii) holding procedures; and (iii) intercepting and tracking courses
through the use of navigation systems."
1. Can I file ifr in vfr or marginal weather, fly 3 or however many
approaches, and use them to remain current, or do I need to be "solely
by reference to the instruments" i.e., actual or simulated with a
safety pilot in order for them (approaches) to count?
2. How many of you use "handheld gps onboard" in the remarks field and
ask for "direct" enroute. Thanks in advance.

Rick