Old January 22nd 09, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Default Comm Ant. Top or Bottom?

"Stuart Fields" wrote in message

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
Mine is a bent 1/4 wave length antenna mounted on the top of the metal
tail cone. My radio is a 1 watt Filser ART 57. So far I haven't had a
problem communicating airborne aircraft or ground stations.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...P-14_N990d.jpg
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...0_Borah_Mt.jpg
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP.../N990_rain.jpg

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Wayne: All my experience with antennas says that you are not getting as
much as you can due to the high VSWR. That said, if you are getting
everything that you want, why change? Those photos are great. I can
understand why you fly one of them "quiet things". Still haven't gone for
a sail plane ride but it is certainly in my "round to it" bucket.

stu

Thank you for the complements on the picture. I really enjoy the old HP-14
homebuilt. It was designed in 1964. Mine was completed in 1973 (I
purchased it in 1999.) On Aug 7, 2007 I managed to complete a declared 300
km flight.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Flights/6F_Gold_Distance.html

If you ever have the opportunity to get a flight in a high performance
two-place sailplane ... do it!!

BTW, what makes you think that I have a high SWR? Normally sailplane
communicate with their crews and other sailplanes on 123.3 or 124.5 MHz. I
have tuned my antenna for 123.3 MHz At that frequency the SWR is 1.2 to 1.
At the extremes of the comm frequencies it does not exceed 2 to 1.

Wayne
Amateur Radio W7ADK