Old June 1st 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Launch Order

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:27:22 +0000, Jim Beckman wrote:

Why would a glider that is not ready to launch be in the launch queue?

Some instructors seem to like briefing in the launch queue no matter what
the CFI says about the practise, though launch line delays are a more
common problem with trial flights: some pax just take a lot of time to
get into the glider, get strapped in and be ready to go, particularly if
you need ballast weights and/or need to put cushions or the ASK21
adjustable backrest into the glider.

The above palaver tends to happen near the front of the queue because we
tend not to put bodies into aircraft until they're number 2 or 3 in the
winch queue. Unlike an aero tow queue, its more important to keep moving
gliders forward as those in front of them launch. Our closest winch queue
is no more that 20-30m out from the launch point bus and we won't launch
a glider that isn't level with the front of the bus. This prevents a wing-
drop and the resultant swing and release from sling-shotting the glider
into the bus or any people standing by it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK