View Single Post
Old January 1st 18, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default SSA 2018 Rules Finish Penalty

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 11:03:55 PM UTC-5, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 12:52:20 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Here is my observation. Based on what I remember from the poll, majority of pilots voted for adopting FAI rules, yet the rules committee decided to study the issue instead of adopting the rules. Why not adopt the FAI rules for one of the contests this coming year. I am puzzled by this development. Why do we need to have a study if pilots already said they wanted the FAI rules?

You need to integrate all the other feedback.

When asked about specific rules provisions, there were majorities opposed to rules that would be included in a generic implementation of FAI rules. These could be integrated as a set of "local procedures" that are part of every implementation of FAI rules, but what, exactly would all of those procedures be? It's pretty clear that this is a complex topic that you can't just shoot from the hip on, as much as many people would like to implement their own personal interpretation - and believe me, everyone has their own distinct interpretation of what FAI rules means. You need to pour through all the poll results in detail. I have, QT has. A few other have to varying levels of detail. It needs thoughtful people willing to put in hours and hours of serious work.

This is a big shift and most people have only the most general awareness on what's involved - or the patience to go through it throughly.

Andy Blackburn
9B

Andy, I get all of that, but why not have one contest with FAI rules to get some experience?