View Single Post
Old January 1st 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default SSA 2018 Rules Finish Penalty

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 12:12:48 PM UTC-5, Andy Blackburn wrote:
It'sa worthy idea. It's been discussed and some initial conversations have been had. You need to have all the infrastructure in place. Some thoughts on what needs doing.

1) Local procedures drafted and agreed to. We don't really have all that clear an idea what pilots want in the gory details. Do you really want team flying and allowance for ground crew support (long range Flarm tracking with ground-based high-gain antennae is one common example)? I'd write local procedures against that, but a significant number of pilots might want to form teams or have some ground support. Others hate the idea. There are many tens of decisions like this to be made and choices will affect pilot participation one way or the other.
2) Scoring scripts written for SeeYou to support #1. There are a few people who are able and possibly willing to support this over some reasonable time frame.
3) Scorer who knows how to use SeeYou found and recruited.
4) Unique requirements of FAI rules supported or worked around in #1.
5) Stuff you didn't anticipate because so much is new.

It's not impossible, but it's new and unfamiliar and you need to get organizers to agree to take the risk and do the work.

Lastly, you might be well advised to not spring this on pilots who already signed up for contests and scheduled their vacations.

If there were organizer support and pilots already signed up for that same contest were nearly unanimously in favor of giving it a go, it might be possible to do it under waiver. Some informal outreach has not yielded results to my knowledge, but if organizers, pilots and other supporting volunteers got seriously motivated to do it, I for one would be favorably inclined on the request.

Andy Blackburn
9B

Andy, this is a very open minded position. You are right about timing being an issue. Let's see if there is an interest for this year.