Old September 29th 10, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default SSA State & Nat Records Rules Conflict

On Sep 28, 9:29*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
All -

OK so I've submitted some State Records and there is confusion amongst
the people processing the claims... *Basically it boils down to a
question on how many Records can be claimed in a single flight.

Some people are saying that you can only submit 1 Distance and 1 Speed
record claimed per Category & Class, per flight. *They are pointing to
this file: *http://www.ssa.org/files/member/NatSTrules.pdfwhich is
shown as a link on the webpage whenever you view a table of State
Records. *Looks like those records were effective starting in 2005?

HOWEVER, the "National & State Rules" PDF on the SSA website (http://www.ssa.org/files/member/USN&StateRules2010.pdf) seems to permit
multiple simultaneous distance records (see section 6.3 and the
reference to 6.2).

The SSA "Summary of the Sporting Code" (http://www.ssa.org/files/
member/SCsummary09c.pdf) lists NO limitations on claims (see 1.4.1a I
think)

The SSA Badge & Record Guide () seems to indicate that you can have
multiple concurrent distance claims (1.4.5, 1.4.6, 1.4.8, and 1.4.7b

[Those last three documents are all on the "Forms" page, under the
"Soaring Achievement" area.]

And I'll say this: *There ARE state records listed where a single
pilot's name shows up under multiple distance records on the same
date... *And I have a hard time believing they all set them by flying
multiple times on a single day!

So, what's the correct answer - anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

--Noel

I've found at least one bad link that goes to the 2005 Rules and we'll
get that fixed. That may have resulted in some confusion earlier
today. The 2010 Rules should apply and appear to allow multiple
distance claims.

On the SSA Soaring Achievement page, the top of the RH column lists
the committee responsible for content. There's a show members link at
the bottom of the first section. When you follow that link, you can e-
mail any member, or the entire group.

Been trying to have someone in the know to hold a state record keeper
webinar for nearly two years per a request. Judy Ruprecht resigned
effective the end of June and applicants were being interviewed last I
heard.

Frank Whiteley